Wednesday 1 January 2014

Christmas Festivities

The past week has been a whirlwind of festive spirit, dancing, beer and chasing chickens...

I woke up on Christmas morning to the greatest gift Libby could have possibly bought me: a chicken! We are now the proud owners of Uwamahoro Claudine and Kyogomishu Denise.

Meet Kyogomishu Denise and Uwamahoro Claudine






The chickens, although originally quite shy, now wreck havoc in the garden. They spend a lot of time next door, making a mess and eating the neighbour's food. However, we were paid back over the past couple of days by Claudine laying 2 eggs! (which were fried and put on a pizza for our New Years celebrations – more on that later!)



Our Christmas Day was quiet and filled with chocolate and gifts from each other and home. Miri bought me some flip-flops that all of the Rwandan girls wear so that I can become a better Rwandan.... I bought Miri a Catholic hymn book so we can sing along in Church and learn the responses, and I bought Libby a Rwandan football shirt and a Rwandan flag belt. (I originally wanted to get her an MTN or Tigo t-shirt, but after asking in every shop in Butare and even visiting the MTN and Tigo centres and getting both funny looks and outright laughter, I had to give up). The little girl next door (the family have just moved in) hung out with us and we gave her Welsh cakes and a Christmas hat. 




On Christmas Eve Miri cooked us Kartoffelpuffer – a typically German dish of potato pancakes with apple sauce and vegetable soup with mulled wine and Welsh cakes. We visited the Christmas Mass at the Cathedral which was the most wonderful service – the Cathedral was decorated and the choir sang Gloria in Excelsis Deo so we joined in for the choruses. I felt really Christmassy for the first time!





Tomorrow I promise to do a post on our New Years Celebrations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment